Douiret History tessirt

The old village of Douiret was once a lively and bustling community, proud of its heritage and uniqueness. Currently uninhabited, the site became virtually a ghost town in ruins overlooking the 'new' village where locals opted to live in 'modern' houses at the mountain foothills - not far away from the historic site that housed their ancestors for hundreds of years.


The ancestry of Douiret is believed to be traced back to a founding father with the name of Ghazi Ben Douaieb Bou Kenana, who migrated to the region more than 600 years ago - possibly coming from the Moroccan region of Tafilalet (Louis, 1975)

In 1850, Douiret population was around 3500 inhabitants. It has been an important caravan stop between Gabès to the north and the Libyan city of Ghdamès to the south. In 1882, Douiret was chosen temporarily by colonial France as the center for its military administrative authority in the southern part of Tunisia before abandoning it in favor of Tataouine soon after that.

In the 20th century, Douiret had seen its population progressively decrease as many of its inhabitants migrated mainly to the Tunisian capitol Tunis. By the close of the 20th century and the beginning of the 21st century, the old village of Douiret has virtually transformed into a gost town in ruins as the few remaining families opted to move to the new village of Douiret built at the mountain foothills not far from their ancestors' historic site.

Louis, A. 1975. Douiret: Étrange Cité Berbère. Societé Tunisienne de Diffusion, Tunis.

Douiret Book by Louis, 1975
A cover photo of an out-of-print book: "Douiret: Étrange Cité Berbère" by A. Louis, 1975.

irji - Troglodyte house in Douiret
An inside of a troglodyte room (Source: Louis, 1975)

endoor - Olive press in Douiret
A snapshot of an ancient traditional stone olive press with a camel drawn millstone (Source: Louis, 1975)
Copyright © 2007-2008, Douiret.net || For information and suggestions: info@douiret.net
1and1 Logo Douiret.net